Thursday, April 9, 2009

Quilt Show

Quilt Show 2010

As most of you know, the meeting notes have been posted. There are errors in the notes.


Barb Shamp did not make the motion, Ellen Buckley did, Barb seconded them.


The motion was made, and a discussion did follow. Our President called a halt to the discussions when BOTH sides were just repeating themselves. As everyone knows, we could still be there discussant it!


I was up front and I did not see 26 not voting. Our President stopped counting @ 47 as it was over half needed for the vote to carry.


8 people objected not 6.


As you can tell, this is a "hot button issue"….I think that all the newer members need to know that we have been at the Marcus Whitman School for about 20 years. In fact, we have never been anywhere else. This Guild was founded by people from Groham, Middlesex, Rushville and a few other towns. But mainly from the 3 mentioned. Lake to Lake Quilt Guild is known for having the show at Whitman.
In years past, the date at the end of June was good as Whitman used to have graduation before the final tests were given. When they changed graduation after the test week, it moved our show to close to July 4th weekend.


The last quilt show, only about 30 people helped, out of 130. That is a really poor showing.
I challenge those who want to move our show to somewhere else to get off their butts and work the show.
If you can’t take the time to work the show, don’t criticize the choice of venue.

3 comments:

  1. I feel that there is a time and place to make additions and corrections to the minutes and that would be at the Board or General Meeting., not in a BLOG. I think a nice phone call to Jean would also have been sufficient. It is a crying shame that we are not all perfect! I personally ( and I have others that agreee and they are not all Naples girls) think that it was rude and inappropriate. I don't blame Jean for resigning and leaving the guild. Her shoes will be hard to fill. She was always there for set up and doing alot of the "behind the scene" things. I think us gals on the Board sometimes forget what the words encouragement and volunteer mean. This is the second time a Secrtetary has resigned, do we see a pattern here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of the Quilt Show,I want to again Thank those 30 that helped the last show, I can name you and also to the ones that came who did not sign up, and the ones that stayed longer than their shift. I feel that we held up our end of the responsibility to make it a very nice show. I challenge 30 additional gals that have never worked to come and get to meet other members. We set the date way in advance so you can plan your life around this event. Lets make this guild a positive and encouraging guild. We all want to come once a month to have fun and develop new friendships and trade quilting ideas and techniques. Who wants to pay dues to be beat up, discouraged and critized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to respond to the comments made by L. Trishler on April 22, 2009.




    I personally spoke with Jean(Secretary) the day after the guild meeting – April 2, 2009. At that time Jean informed me she was resigning as guild secretary. Her reasons being- as a fairly new member she is not familiar with the names of members which makes it difficult to assign names to those making motions, it takes considerable time to write the minutes, she did not feel comfortable with the position. Having spoken with Jean, I felt she was overwhelmed by the responsibility of secretary. I asked her to think about her decision and attend the May meeting to take notes until a replacement could be found. She adamantly declined. Please note all of this occurred before the comments posted on the blog April 9th. Yes, I am sorry she has chosen this avenue and she will be missed. Both the VP and myself have tried to contact Jean by phone and e-mail to see if we could help her in any way but she has chosen not to respond to either of us.

    I'm sorry, I do not see a pattern L. Trishler. I see two “new” members overwhelmed by the responsibilities and duties as the guild's secretary.

    Now let me address the issue of our guild's quilt show. I feel those members who organized and those who worked the 2008 quilt show did an excellent job. I know from past experience as chair that putting together the show takes dedication and a large amount of patience. It would be nice to have more or all members involved! Maybe a little more enthusiasm, involvement of members in the planning and implementing and more information shared with the members would help. The constant nit picking, bickering and heated discussions regarding the who, what, when and where of the show is not what our show is about. We seem to forget the guild's objective “to promote, preserve, and encourage the art of quilting” - one of many reasons why we have a quilt show.

    So, yes let's get back to basics, stop making waves and enjoy the company of fellow quilters. And remember everyone is entitled to their opinion whether you agree with them or not!! We should not be critical of those who openly voice their opinion.

    ReplyDelete